Note: before implementing this change into your everyday lifestyle please consult your physician if your health condition allows you to practice this activity daily.
Walking has proven very effective in terms of burning fat and losing weight, but the question is how much calories are burned and what does it depend on?
THERE ARE TWO MAJOR FACTORS THAT DETERMINE FAT BURNING WITH WALKING:
- Body Weight
- Walking area
Walking for only one hour, with an average velocity of 4 miles an hour, will help you burn up to 400 calories.
If we turn this to steps, how many will it take for burning calories?
- 100 calories = 1 mile = about 2000 steps, and
- 1 pound is approximately 35 000 calories
Thus, if you want to lose at least a pound a week, you need to burn about 500 calories a day, or translated into walking, walk 5 miles a day.
HERE ARE SOME PRACTICAL TIPS ON HOW TO ADJUST TO A CERTAIN WALKING ROUTINE:
- When going to work, instead of using the bus it would be better to walk;
- When you are using your car, park it a bit further from your final destination;
- Use the distance to the station for walking instead of taking a taxi or a bus;
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator all the time;
- When taking your children to school, try walking with them instead of driving them with the car.
HOW MUCH WALKING IS RECOMMENDED?
When starting your walking routine, in the first three days you should walk for only 15 to 20 minutes a day, and then gradually increase the walking time to about 30 to 60 minute walking a day. It has been scientifically proven that this is an easy and healthy way to lose weight that doesn’t require a strict workout routine or following an unhealthy diet.